You have seen that the nation state is coming under increasing pressure from globalisation and loss of sovereignty. Will that lead to the end of the nation state? Or will it continue indefinitely? It is up to you to come up with an answer. We will do this with the help of a rope discussion. It goes like this:
- The teacher gives you a sheet of paper with the statement: ‘The days of the nation-state are numbered’
- You write whether you agree or disagree with that statement. Or maybe your opinion is somewhere in between. Support your position with arguments.
- he teacher then asks two students to come forward, one who fully agrees with the statement and one who totally disagrees.
- Both pupils receive the end of a rope in their hands and are instructed to keep it taut. 'Agree' is on the left, 'disagree' on the right.
- The other pupils fix ééone by one their sheet of paper to the string with a paperclip. The more a pupil agrees with the statement, the further to the left he attaches the paper to the string. The more the pupil disagrees with the statement, the further to the right he ties the paper to the string.
Then, together with your classmates, hold a class discussion to find out whether the nation state still has a future and what you think about that.